Frequently Asked Questions
The average person spends one-third of their life in bed, making a mattress one of the most important purchases you will ever make. Buy the very best that you can afford in a comfort level that is right for you.
The firmness that is best for you is a matter of personal preference; ultimately you will want a mattress that is supportive and comfortable.
If your bed accommodates a boxspring, you should always purchase one that matches the mattress. The boxspring provides body-conforming comfort and reduces the wear and tear on the mattress, extending the life of that mattress. A new mattress that is placed on an older boxspring may not provide the ultimate level of comfort and support and will wear out sooner than one placed on a matching boxspring. Additionally, the Shifman warranty only applies to matching sets of mattresses and boxsprings.
A pillow-top mattress is purely a personal preference to comfort, allowing the surface of a mattress to be more plush and luxurious. Shifman’s unique hand-tufting process assures that a pillowtop will be as durable as a non-pillowtop.
Shifman features fine Belgian damask and matelasse fabric designs with the highest standards for thread count, weight and strength. Most of the fabrics are woven with cotton and rayon yarns.
Shifman mattresses are manufactured slightly larger than the boxsprings. Our mattresses feature extra cotton padding which makes them fuller in size. The boxspring is made a bit smaller to fit into a metal frame or bed. The wear of the mattress will not be affected by this difference in size.
There is no formaldehyde used in any component of a Shifman mattress or boxspring.
Shifman’s search for the best fire resistant barrier has led to the finest, most natural, inherently fire retardant material available. The material is rayon cellulose fiber with fine-grained sand that is spun into the core of rayon during fiber formation and blended with a small amount of polyester.
Mattress sets are filled with all new materials, including natural cotton. It is not unusual for a mattress to have a new smell. It needs to air out, and once the odor dissipates, it will never return. Opening a window or using the air conditioner will help air it out quicker.
Shifman Mattress Company does not recommend the use of any cleaners because they may possibly leave a stain of their own on your mattress. Shifman recommends the use of a water resistant mattress cover. This will protect your mattress from collecting any unwanted stains and they can be easily washed in the washing machine.
Here are some suggestions in order to properly care for your Shifman mattress and boxspring set so you can keep dreaming peacefully.
- Your new Shifman mattress has two sides for added comfort, support, and durability. It is recommended that you flip your mattress on a regular basis to increase its comfort and equalize its wear over time. Turn your mattress once a month for the first six months and twice a year thereafter. Flip side-to-side the first time, then head-to-foot the next time. Continue to alternate flips in order to use all four sleeping surfaces.
- Do not put a board between your mattress and boxspring, as this will cause your mattress to wear out more quickly. Doing so will void the warranty.
- Mattress handles should only be used for positioning the mattress. Never attempt to lift a mattress by the handles.
- Avoid stains by using a quilted protector pad.
- Do not remove the white cloth law label at the end of the mattress or boxspring. This label serves as a means of identification to establish warranty rights. Removal of law label will void the warranty.
- Mattresses need matching boxsprings or a platform bed for proper and even support.
- Never bend or fold your mattress, as this will damage the innerspring unit beyond repair*. This warranty will not cover damage caused in this manner. A king mattress is hinged to bend head-to-foot for delivery purposes.
- King and queen sized bedding requires a heavy-duty metal frame with rigid center support and legs. Wood or metal beds require at least five rigid hardwood slats with center legs or rails for proper support
- Mattress sets are filled with all new materials including natural cotton. It is not unusual for a mattress to have a new smell. It needs to air out. Opening a window or using the air conditioner will help it air out more quickly.
*Except mattresses specifically designed for adjustable bases.
It’s the outstanding result of Shifman’s exclusive design, sturdy construction, quality materials and precision craftsmanship that will give you many years of superior sleep. A Shifman mattress set is protected against defective workmanship and materials for the number of years specified on your law label after the date of purchase from an authorized dealer. Our mattresses exemplify Shifman’s universal standard of excellence and overwhelming choice in quality bedding since 1893, so it is our duty to make sure your sleeping experience is everything we have promised.VIEW OUR WARRANTY